Well we have been travelling for one-month today. Bob and I have journeyed almost halfway around the world. We are in Kenya, East Africa. How are we doing? Well…
- I snore and Bob wears hearing aids that he turns off at night #awesome combination
- I waken easily so I can defend us from intruders – animal or human, and also hear the alarm
- When Bob tries to be humorous and is misunderstood – I can interpret for him #whatfriendsdo
- I am a bit of a techie and Bob isn’t so it is like he has his own IT department with him #technopeasant
- Bob’s Parkinson’s is controlled by medication – nothing like having a friend to ask if you have taken your meds #nag
- When dealing with a legal matter in Chile it is sure helpful to have your lawyer with you – (even though he cannot practice in Chile unless in the Canadian embassy, he still thinks like a lawyer) #lawyerhead
- It is totally possible to travel around the world with a carry on suitcase. You do want to check it though as the security searches for carry on takes too much time #inconsistent
- Quick dry travelling underwear – where have you been all my life. #amazing
- Travel shirts and pants – again terrific. Don’t bring blue jeans or cotton of almost any description. It may feel comfortable but takes forever to dry #useahairdryer
- Get over an desire to buy souvenirs. You don’t have room and no one needs more trinkets. #photomemories
- Take a big bottle of acidophilus with you and take several daily. It helps give you a fighting chance with a diet that changes every few days #reducegasemmissions
- An iPhone can serve as your movie camera, camera, microphone for interviews replacing all these gadgets. Get really comfortable using it before a trip. Oh yeah, and do not allow it to join a network and roam. That can cost as much as the trip J #threedollartextmessages
- There is a lot of time for reading while travelling. Bring your library on an iPad or Kindle device – you will be glad you did
- Energizer Batteries. In all the travelling I have done in my life I have tried every AA and AAA battery there is. None have performed like Energizer in fact I think of Energizer as an unofficial sponsor of this round the world tour. They are powering my flashlight, digital recorder, noise cancelling headset and none have required a change yet #keepsgoingandgoing
- Carry US dollars as it is often the preferred currency for visas or paying reciprocal fees at airports (cash only). That said don’t bring bills larger than fifties and none printed earlier than 2000 or they may not be accepted #goodoldusa
- Take naps. These are the ultimate cure for frequent time zone changes so plan your days around naps #melatonin
- Lower travel expectations. There will be flight delays, cancelled flights and mix-ups. Act like the travelling professional you are and seek solutions with the staff #getoverit
- Remember that you are entering into someone else’s culture. Don’t impose your culture on everyone around you; instead take a real interest in his or hers. Try to speak their language #notegocentric
- Worldmate – a travellers dream app. We use it twenty times a day for weather, conversion of currency, flight info, hotel info and time zones #worldmate.com
Now here is a list of what I would do differently:
- Not carry books as gifts #tooheavy
- Bring one more pair of travel pants that can pass as dress pants in a very light color or shade #classy
- Print a bookmark or even just photos with contact information as gifts for people #nottooheavy
- Bring teaching materials with me and anticipate being asked spontaneously #beprepared
- Allow more time for journaling. It takes as long or longer to record the experiences #capturewhilefresh
So that is it after one month, let’s see what I would add to these lists after two months!
2 thoughts on “Round the World: Traveling Tips after one month and 24,000 kilometers”
Sounds like you are having an amazing trip Carson! Thanks for all the trip tips! May God be with you to protect you, lead you and bless you on the remainder of your trip.
Thanks Janet – it has been amazing. I will be preparing a series of keynote presentations for use in the next year as I desire to speak to pastors and church congregations about what we can learn from the global south. I have been collecting themes consistent in places where we see God pouring Himself out. #amazing Would love to help WV in this way as well for I have some great WV stories and many more to come.
Comments are closed.