We are hiring…
Director of Children
& Family Ministries
First Baptist Vancouver, or ‘First’ or ‘FBC’ as we are known on the street, is a community that believes it is possible to live and love the way Jesus does – and we come together to help one another on this journey of becoming like Jesus. Located at the crossroads of downtown Vancouver a vibrant community congregates in our stone building. We are young, old, and in-between; rich, poor, employed and re-training; multicultural; families and singles; Bible scholars and seekers.
Our neighborhood is surprisingly filled with many young families and our Children & Family Ministry is one of the most robust in our congregation. Engaging one hundred volunteers, we are a church deeply committed to family.
Children & Family Ministries is vital to the health of our congregational and community life at FBC and in our neighborhood. The new director will have primary responsibility for giving leadership to shape Sunday morning and mid-week children’s programs, ensuring that they are Biblically relevant to the contemporary family and for developing a family friendly congregational environment. Reporting to the Executive Director, this ministry leadership position is supported by both staff and volunteers. A strategic team, your Ministry Area Team (MAT) will be established to be a support in this ministry area, and assist you with dreaming, strategic planning and assessment of existing programs.
In order to carry out this important ministry in our congregation and neighbourhood this position will include a number of key responsibilities in multiple areas including:
- Develop and work with a team of leaders who seek to integrate children’s ministries within a church family framework where parent involvement and spiritual leadership of children is a partnership between the home and church.
- Screen, recruit, train, and nurture a large team of volunteer members who have a heart to serve children, in both leadership and support roles. Provides direction and supervision to volunteer team leaders.
- Model Christian leadership and empower volunteers to fulfill their assignments.
- Oversee administration needs of preparing and controlling the budget, maintaining database of volunteers, and preparing communication about the ministry.
- Work with key volunteer leaders to select and implement user-friendly Biblical curriculum that reflects the values and vision of FBC.
- Provide initial pastoral care as needed for children, staff, volunteers and parents and faithfully pass on information to the Pastoral Team for additional support.
- Implement ministry and special events of importance to the family. Current programs include a Mid-week Parent Group, Family Connection Groups, All Church Family Camp, Soccer Camps, Parenting Seminars, and Small Groups.
Children’s Programs (Birth to Grade 7)
- Oversee our discipleship groups for children: Early Childhood, School-age Children, Preteen Ministry, Sunday weekly activities; mid-week children’s programs; baptism classes, summer programs, and special events.
- Build and nurture contacts with our neighbourhood and community (for example: schools and the YMCA).
- Share ministry information with the FBC pastoral team for the health and development of the church and represent the interests of children and families to the wider church body.
- Engage and work collaboratively with the Ministry Area Team (MAT) for support, discussion and assessment of ministry programs.
- Work collaboratively with the Pastoral Team.
- Plan together with the Youth Director, to ensure smooth transitions to the youth program, and annual calendar planning.
- Demonstrate commitment to the FBC Values and vision by participating in the life of the church (examples: worship service attendance, small group participation, staff devotions).
Education and Experience
The successful applicant we see as having the following skills and traits:
- Bible College or University education appropriate to the position,
- A godly leader of good character who has a vibrant personal faith in Jesus Christ.
- A strong desire to see: parents become the spiritual leaders in their homes; and their children become fully devoted followers of Christ.
- Strong organizational, communication and collaborative leadership skills
- Ability to multi-task, delegate, team build, and provide oversight to many ministry areas.
- Significant church experience would be an asset
- Candidates must be eligible for credentialing as a licensed pastor with our denominational family, Canadian Baptists of Western Canada. Details regarding this can be found at (cbwc.ca).
Hours per Week: 40 (FTE)
Compensation: FBC uses a salary grid commensurate to the role responsibility, education & experience.
Timeline: Accepting applications immediately
Closing Date July 22, 2013
Please submit your resume electronically to email@example.com